Create functional surface structures
The purpose of laser structuring is to create complex surface structures on three-dimensional objects with the aid of a laser. It is a process for functionalizing component surfaces that is mainly used for roughening metallic or ceramic surfaces. The term laser structuring covers both partial and precise surface material removal, as well as large-area laser polishing, laser cleaning and laser honing. There are no limits to the type and scope of laser structuring - regardless of whether you require single or full-surface structuring of components.
In laser structuring with an ultra-short pulse laser, the material vaporizes without leaving any melt residue on the component. Thanks to so-called cold ablation, the material is not melted but evaporated, which enables high-quality structuring of the material. Ultra-short pulse lasers consequently allow cleaner and often post-processing-free microstructuring of surfaces with very high precision.
Laser structuring - all advantages at a glance:
- most precise laser process in micromachining
- short processing time, any material can be processed
- free choice of structures as well as individual design of textures
- no clamping or heating of the workpiece
- exactly reproducible structuring of three-dimensional geometries and surfaces
- laser sources and systems with pulse lengths in the pico- and femto-second range (USP laser)
- wavelengths of 1,030 nm (IR), 515 nm (green) and 355 nm (UV)
Wide range of processing parameters in manufacturing technology:
- Ablate thin film layers without damaging the carrier substrate.
- Produce defined roughness values partially in ceramics and metals.
- Perform cleaning and polishing operations on ablated silicon surfaces to remove easily adhering melt residues. Lateral structure resolution down to five micrometers and depth resolution down to less than one micrometer are possible.
Flexible and fast production of structured tool surfaces:
- use of various scanner optics for remote machining as well as fixed optics with gas support especially for cutting and drilling applications
- pipe machining possible at a maximum diameter of up to 90 millimeters and a maximum length of 300 millimeters
- automatic image recognition and processing of position features and sensor-based measurement of the removed height in the same setup for maximum precision
Further details on laser structuring can be found in our data sheets.
Discover our wide range of services
Discover our other diverse technologies as well. We manufacture precise and individual components according to your specifications - from laser drilling to wafer dicing to precision manufacturing of drawing parts.